The UN Special Rapporteur on hazardous substances and wastes, Baskut Tuncak, has presented a report containing 15 principles to end the exploitation of workers through their exposure to hazardous substances.
In an address to the Human Rights Council, Tuncak urged States and businesses to implement the 15 principles intended to help governments, businesses and others to protect workers from toxic exposure in and around the workplace and to provide remedies for violations of their rights.
This event discussed the recognition of safe and healthy work as a fundamental right at work with Baskut Tuncak and other experts.
- Ambassador Walter Stevens, Head of the EU Delegation to the United Nations in Geneva (or the Deputy Head of the delegation)
- Ms. Sari Lehtiranta, Deputy Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of Finland, Geneva
- Baskut Tuncak, Special Rapporteur on human rights &hazardous substances and wastes (toxics)
- Manal Azzi, Occupational Health and Safety Specialist, ILO
- Frank Pega, Technical Officer, Workers' Health, World Health Organization (WHO)
- James Ritchie, Assistant General Secretary, International Union of Food, Agricultural, Hotel, Restaurant, Catering, Tobacco and Allied Workers' Associations (IUF)